Picks up and delivers messages, documents, packages, and other items between offices or departments within an establishment or directly to other business concerns, traveling by foot, bicycle, motorcycle, automobile, or public conveyance.
This career is part of the Business, Management and Administration cluster Administrative Support pathway.
A person in this career:
- Walks, rides bicycles, drives vehicles, or uses public conveyances to reach destinations to deliver messages or materials.
- Loads vehicles with listed goods, ensuring goods are loaded correctly and taking precautions with hazardous goods.
- Receives messages or materials to be delivered, and information on recipients, such as names, addresses, telephone numbers, and delivery instructions, communicated via telephone, two-way radio, or in person.
- Unloads and sorts items collected along delivery routes.
- Plans and follows the most efficient routes for delivering goods.
- Delivers messages and items, such as newspapers, documents, and packages, between establishment departments, and to other establishments and private homes.
- Sorts items to be delivered according to the delivery route.
- Obtains signatures and payments, or arranges for recipients to make payments.
- Records information, such as items received and delivered and recipients' responses to messages.
- Checks with home offices after completed deliveries to confirm deliveries and collections and to receive instructions for other deliveries.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.