Processes applications for, changes to, reinstatement of, and cancellation of insurance policies. Duties include reviewing insurance applications to ensure that all questions have been answered, compiling data on insurance policy changes, changing policy records to conform to insured party's specifications, compiling data on lapsed insurance policies to determine automatic reinstatement according to company policies, canceling insurance policies as requested by agents, and verifying the accuracy of insurance company records.
This career is part of the Business Management and Administration cluster Business Finance and Accounting pathway.
A person in this career:
- Interviews clients and takes their calls to provide customer service and obtain information on claims.
- Processes, prepares, and submits business or government forms, such as submitting applications for coverage to insurance carriers.
- Processes and records new insurance policies and claims.
- Corresponds with insured or agent to obtain information or inform them of account status or changes.
- Organizes and works with detailed office or warehouse records, maintaining files for each policyholder, including policies that are to be reinstated or cancelled.
- Reviews and verifies data, such as age, name, address, and principal sum and value of property on insurance applications and policies.
- Collects initial premiums and issues receipts.
- Modifies, updates, and processes existing policies and claims to reflect any change in beneficiary, amount of coverage, or type of insurance.
- Transcribes data to worksheets and enters data into computer for use in preparing documents and adjusting accounts.
- Notifies insurance agent and accounting department of policy cancellation.