Directly supervises and coordinates activities of retail sales workers in an establishment or department. Duties may include management functions, such as purchasing, budgeting, accounting, and personnel work, in addition to supervisory duties.
This career is part of the Marketing cluster Professional Sales pathway, Merchandising pathway.
A person in this career:
- Provides customer service by greeting and assisting customers and responding to customer inquiries and complaints.
- Directs and supervises employees engaged in sales, inventory-taking, reconciling cash receipts, or in performing services for customers.
- Examines merchandise to ensure that it is correctly priced and displayed and that it functions as advertised.
- Monitors sales activities to ensure that customers receive satisfactory service and quality goods.
- Instructs staff on how to handle difficult and complicated sales.
- Assigns employees to specific duties.
- Keeps records of purchases, sales, and requisitions.
- Performs work activities of subordinates, such as cleaning and organizing shelves and displays and selling merchandise.
- Plans and prepares work schedules and keeps records of employees' work schedules and time cards.
- Reviews inventory and sales records to prepare reports for management and budget departments.