Measures, records and evaluates geological data using sonic, electronic, electrical, seismic, or gravity-measuring instruments to prospect for oil or gas. May collect and evaluate core samples and cuttings.
This career is part of the Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources cluster Power, Structural and Technical Systems pathway.
A person in this career:
- Prepares notes, sketches, geological maps, or cross-sections.
- Reads and studies reports in order to compile information and data for geological and geophysical prospecting.
- Interviews individuals, and researches public databases in order to obtain information.
- Assembles, maintains, or distributes information for library or record systems.
- Operates or adjusts equipment or apparatus used to obtain geological data.
- Plans and directs activities of workers who operate equipment to collect data.
- Sets up or directs set-up of instruments used to collect geological data.
- Records readings in order to compile data used in prospecting for oil or gas.
- Supervises oil, water, or gas well-drilling activities.
- Collects samples or cuttings, using equipment or hand tools.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.