Prepares cost estimates for product manufacturing, construction projects, or services to aid management in bidding on or determining price of product or service. May specialize according to particular service performed or type of product manufactured.
This career is part of the Architecture and Construction cluster Construction pathway.
A person in this career:
- Consults with clients, vendors, personnel in other departments or construction foremen to discuss and formulate estimates and resolve issues.
- Analyzes blueprints and other documentation to prepare time, cost, materials, and labor estimates.
- Prepares estimates for use in selecting vendors or subcontractors.
- Confers with engineers, architects, owners, contractors and subcontractors on changes and adjustments to cost estimates.
- Prepares estimates used by management for purposes such as planning, organizing, and scheduling work.
- Prepares cost and expenditure statements and other necessary documentation at regular intervals for the duration of the project.
- Assesses cost effectiveness of products, projects or services, tracking actual costs relative to bids as the project develops.
- Sets up cost monitoring and reporting systems and procedures.
- Conducts special studies to develop and establish standard hour and related cost data or to effect cost reduction.
- Reviews material and labor requirements to decide whether it is more cost-effective to produce or purchase components.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.