Operates telephone business systems equipment or switchboards to relay incoming, outgoing, and interoffice calls. May supply information to callers and record messages.
This career is part of the Business, Management and Administration cluster Administrative Support pathway.
A person in this career:
- Answers incoming calls, greeting callers, providing information, transferring calls or taking messages as necessary.
- Operates communication systems, such as telephone, switchboard, intercom, two-way radio, or public address.
- Pages individuals to inform them of telephone calls, using paging or interoffice communication equipment.
- Relays or routes written or verbal messages.
- Places telephone calls or arranges conference calls as instructed.
- Performs various data entry or word processing tasks, such as updating phone directories, typing or proofreading documents, or creating schedules.
- Processes incoming or outgoing mail, packages, or deliveries.
- Performs administrative tasks, such as accepting orders, scheduling appointments or meeting rooms, or sending and receiving faxes.
- Records messages, suggesting rewording for clarity or conciseness.
- Monitors alarm systems to ensure that secure conditions are maintained.