Models garments or other apparel and accessories for prospective buyers at fashion shows, private showings, or retail establishments. May pose for photos to be used in magazines or advertisements. May pose as subject for paintings, sculptures, and other types of artistic expression.
This career is part of the Marketing cluster Professional Sales pathway.
A person in this career:
- Poses for artists and photographers.
- Gathers information from agents concerning the pay, dates, times, provisions, and lengths of jobs.
- Follows strict routines of diet, sleep, and exercise to maintain appearance.
- Records rates of pay and durations of jobs on vouchers.
- Reports job completions to agencies and obtains information about future appointments.
- Assembles and maintains portfolios, prints composite cards, and travels to go-sees to obtain jobs.
- Works closely with photographers, fashion coordinators, directors, producers, stylists, make-up artists, other models, and clients to produce the desired looks, and to finish photo shoots on schedule.
- Applies makeup to face and style hair to enhance appearance, considering such factors as color, camera techniques, and facial features.
- Displays clothing and merchandise in commercials, advertisements, or fashion shows.
- Promotes products and services in television commercials, on film, or in videos.