Purchases farm products either for further processing or resale.
This career is part of the Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources cluster Animal Systems pathway, Food Products and Processing Systems pathway.
A person in this career:
- Purchases, for further processing or for resale, farm products such as milk, grains, or Christmas trees.
- Arranges for processing or resale of purchased products.
- Negotiates contracts with farmers for the production or purchase of farm products.
- Arranges for transportation or storage of purchased products.
- Maintains records of business transactions and product inventories, reporting data to companies or government agencies as necessary.
- Reviews orders to determine product types and quantities required to meet demand.
- Examines or tests crops or products to estimate their value, determine their grade, or locate any evidence of disease or insect damage.
- Coordinates or directs activities of workers engaged in cutting, transporting, storing, or milling products and maintaining records.
- Sells supplies, such as seed, feed, fertilizers, or insecticides, arranging for loans or financing as necessary.
- Advises farm groups or growers on land preparation or livestock care techniques that will maximize the quantity and quality of production.