Assembles, installs, or maintains solar photovoltaic (PV) systems on roofs or other structures in compliance with site assessment and schematics. May include measuring, cutting, assembling, and bolting structural framing and solar modules. May perform minor electrical work such as current checks.
This career is part of the Architecture and Construction cluster Construction pathway.
A person in this career:
- Installs photovoltaic (PV) systems in accordance with codes and standards, using drawings, schematics, and instructions.
- Assembles solar modules, panels, or support structures, as specified.
- Applies weather sealing to array, building, or support mechanisms.
- Determines appropriate sizes, ratings, and locations for all system overcurrent devices, disconnect devices, grounding equipment, and surge suppression equipment.
- Installs module array interconnect wiring, implementing measures to disable arrays during installation.
- Identifies methods for laying out, orienting, and mounting modules or arrays to ensure efficient installation, electrical configuration, or system maintenance.
- Identifies electrical, environmental, and safety hazards associated with photovoltaic (PV) installations.
- Examines designs to determine current requirements for all parts of the photovoltaic (PV) system electrical circuit.
- Checks electrical installation for proper wiring, polarity, grounding, or integrity of terminations.
- Tests operating voltages to ensure operation within acceptable limits for power conditioning equipment, such as inverters and controllers.