Assembles, installs, repairs, and maintains electric and hydraulic freight and passenger elevators, escalators, and dumbwaiters.
This career is part of the Architecture and Construction cluster Construction pathway, Maintenance/Operations pathway.
A person in this career:
- Assembles, installs, repairs, and maintains elevators, escalators, moving sidewalks, and dumbwaiters, using hand and power tools, and testing devices such as test lamps, ammeters, and voltmeters.
- Tests newly installed equipment to ensure that it meets specifications, such as stopping at floors for set amounts of time.
- Locates malfunctions in brakes, motors, switches, and signal and control systems, using test equipment.
- Checks that safety regulations and building codes are met, and completes service reports verifying conformance to standards.
- Connects electrical wiring to control panels and electric motors.
- Reads and interprets blueprints to determine the layout of system components, frameworks, and foundations, and to select installation equipment.
- Adjusts safety controls, counterweights, door mechanisms, and components such as valves, ratchets, seals, and brake linings.
- Inspects wiring connections, control panel hookups, door installations, and alignments and clearances of cars and hoistways to ensure that equipment will operate properly.
- Disassembles defective units, and repairs or replaces parts such as locks, gears, cables, and electric wiring.
- Maintains log books that detail all repairs and checks performed.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.