Compiles records, sorts and shelves books, and issues and receives library materials such as pictures, cards, slides and microfilm. Locates library materials for loan and replaces material in shelving area, stacks or files according to identification number and title. Registers patrons to permit them to borrow books, periodicals, and other library materials.
This career is part of the Arts, Audio-Video Technology and Communications cluster Visual Arts pathway.
A person in this career:
- Instructs patrons on how to use reference sources, card catalogs, and automated information systems.
- Opens and closes library during specified hours and secures library equipment, such as computers and audio-visual (AV) equipment.
- Locates library materials for patrons, including books, periodicals, tape cassettes, Braille volumes, and pictures.
- Answers routine inquiries and refers patrons in need of professional assistance to librarians.
- Maintains records of items received, stored, issued, and returned and files catalog cards according to system used.
- Performs clerical activities, such as answering phones, sorting mail, filing, typing, word processing, and photocopying and mailing out material.
- Processes new materials including books, audio-visual materials, and computer software.
- Provides assistance to librarians in the maintenance of collections of books, periodicals, magazines, newspapers, and audio-visual and other materials.
- Takes action to deal with disruptive or problem patrons.
- Sorts books, publications, and other items according to established procedure and returns them to shelves, files, or other designated storage areas.