Designs clothing and accessories. Creates original designs or adapts fashion trends.
This career is part of the Marketing cluster Professional Sales pathway.
A person in this career:
- Directs and coordinates workers involved in drawing and cutting patterns and constructing samples or finished garments.
- Examines sample garments on and off models, modifying designs to achieve desired effects.
- Sketches rough and detailed drawings of apparel or accessories, and writes specifications such as color schemes, construction, material types, and accessory requirements.
- Confers with sales and management executives or with clients to discuss design ideas.
- Attends fashion shows and reviews garment magazines and manuals to gather information about fashion trends and consumer preferences.
- Identifies target markets for designs, looking at factors such as age, gender, and socioeconomic status.
- Selects materials and production techniques to be used for products.
- Provides sample garments to agents and sales representatives, and arranges for showings of sample garments at sales meetings or fashion shows.
- Adapts other designers' ideas for the mass market.
- Purchases new or used clothing and accessory items as needed to complete designs.