Selects, fits, and takes care of costumes for cast members, and aid entertainers. May assist with multiple costume changes during performances.
This career is part of the Human Services cluster Personal Care Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Creates worksheets for dressing lists, show notes, or costume checks.
- Provides dressing assistance to cast members or assigns cast dressers to assist specific cast members with costume changes.
- Arranges costumes in order of use to facilitate quick-change procedures for performances.
- Designs or constructs costumes or sends them to tailors for construction, major repairs, or alterations.
- Examines costume fit on cast members and sketches or writes notes for alterations.
- Distributes costumes or related equipment and keeps records of item status.
- Checks the appearance of costumes on stage or under lights to determine whether desired effects are being achieved.
- Cleans and presses costumes before and after performances and performs any minor repairs.
- Collaborates with production designers, costume designers, or other production staff to discuss and execute costume design details.
- Monitors, maintains, or secures inventories of costumes, wigs, or makeup, providing keys or access to assigned directors, costume designers, or wardrobe mistresses/masters.