Directly supervises and coordinates activities of agricultural crop or horticultural workers.
This career is part of the Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources cluster Agribusiness Systems pathway, Animal Systems pathway, Plant Systems pathway.
A person in this career:
- Assigns duties, such as cultivation, irrigation, or harvesting of crops or plants, product packaging or grading, or equipment maintenance.
- Trains workers in techniques such as planting, harvesting, weeding, or insect identification and in the use of safety measures.
- Confers with managers to evaluate weather or soil conditions, to develop plans or procedures, or to discuss issues such as changes in fertilizers, herbicides, or cultivating techniques.
- Inspects crops, fields, or plant stock to determine conditions and need for cultivating, spraying, weeding, or harvesting.
- Reviews employees' work to evaluate quality and quantity.
- Observes workers to detect inefficient or unsafe work procedures or to identify problems, initiating corrective action as necessary.
- Drives or operates farm machinery, such as trucks, tractors, or self-propelled harvesters, to transport workers or supplies or to cultivate or harvest fields.
- Estimates labor requirements for jobs and plan work schedules accordingly.
- Plans or supervises infrastructure or collection maintenance functions, such as planting, fertilizing, pest or weed control, or landscaping.
- Directs or assists with the adjustment or repair of farm equipment or machinery.