Operates machinery to install roof support bolts in underground mine.
This career is part of the Architecture and Construction cluster Construction pathway.
A person in this career:
- Drills bolt holes into roofs at specified distances from ribs or adjacent bolts.
- Pulls down loose rock that cannot be supported.
- Positions bolting machines, and inserts drill bits into chucks.
- Performs safety checks on equipment before operating.
- Performs tests to determine if methane gas is present.
- Forces bolts into holes, using hydraulic mechanisms of self-propelled bolting machines.
- Performs ventilation tasks, such as hanging ventilation curtains and tubes.
- Dusts rocks after bolting.
- Installs various types of bolts including truss, glue, and resin bolts, traversing entire ceiling spans.
- Drills test holes and tests bolts for specified tension, using torque wrenches.