Promotes or helps create good will for individuals, groups or organizations by writing or selecting favorable publicity material and releasing it through various communications media. May prepare and arrange displays, and make speeches.
This career is part of the Arts, Audio-Video Technology and Communications cluster Journalism and Broadcasting pathway.
A person in this career:
- Responds to requests for information from the media or designates an appropriate spokesperson or information source.
- Writes press releases or other media communications to promote clients.
- Establishes or maintains cooperative relationships with representatives of community, consumer, employee, or public interest groups.
- Plans or directs development or communication of programs to maintain favorable public or stockholder perceptions of an organization's accomplishments, agenda, or environmental responsibility.
- Studies the objectives, promotional policies, or needs of organizations to develop public relations strategies that will influence public opinion or promote ideas, products, or services.
- Coaches client representatives in effective communication with the public or with employees.
- Confers with other managers to identify trends or key group interests or concerns or to provide advice on business decisions.
- Updates and maintains content posted on the Web.
- Prepares or edits organizational publications, such as employee newsletters or stockholders' reports, for internal or external audiences.
- Coordinates public responses to environmental management incidents or conflicts.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.