Analyzes, tests, troubleshoots, and evaluates existing network systems, such as local area network (LAN), wide area network (WAN), and Internet systems or a segment of a network system. Performs network maintenance to ensure networks operate correctly with minimal interruption.
This career is part of the Information Technology cluster Network Systems pathway.
A person in this career:
- Backs up network data.
- Configures security settings or access permissions for groups or individuals.
- Analyzes and reports computer network security breaches or attempted breaches.
- Identifies the causes of networking problems, using diagnostic testing software and equipment.
- Documents network support activities.
- Configures wide area network (WAN) or local area network (LAN) routers or related equipment.
- Installs network software, including security or firewall software.
- Troubleshoots network or connectivity problems for users or user groups.
- Provides telephone support related to networking or connectivity issues.
- Evaluates local area network (LAN) or wide area network (WAN) performance data to ensure sufficient availability or speed, to identify network problems, or for disaster recovery purposes.