Sells business goods or services, the selling of which requires a technical background equivalent to a baccalaureate degree in engineering.
This career is part of the Marketing cluster Professional Sales pathway.
A person in this career:
- Collaborates with sales teams to understand customer requirements, to promote the sale of company products, and to provide sales support.
- Sells products requiring extensive technical expertise and support for installation and use, such as material handling equipment, numerical-control machinery, and computer systems.
- Plans and modifies product configurations to meet customer needs.
- Confers with customers and engineers to assess equipment needs and to determine system requirements.
- Prepares and delivers technical presentations that explain products or services to customers and prospective customers.
- Arranges for demonstrations or trial installations of equipment.
- Creates sales or service contracts for products or services.
- Develops, presents, or responds to proposals for specific customer requirements, including request for proposal responses and industry-specific solutions.
- Visits prospective buyers at commercial, industrial, or other establishments to show samples or catalogs, and to inform them about product pricing, availability, and advantages.
- Researches and identifies potential customers for products or services.