Counsels individuals to maximize the independence and employability of persons coping with personal, social, and vocational difficulties that result from birth defects, illness, disease, accidents, or the stress of daily life. Coordinates activities for residents of care and treatment facilities. Assesses client needs and designs and implements rehabilitation programs that may include personal and vocational counseling, training, and job placement.
This career is part of the Human Services cluster Counseling and Mental Health Services pathway, Family and Community Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Prepares and maintains records and case files, including documentation such as clients' personal and eligibility information, services provided, narratives of client contacts, or relevant correspondence.
- Develops rehabilitation plans that fit clients' aptitudes, education levels, physical abilities, and career goals.
- Monitors and records clients' progress to ensure that goals and objectives are met.
- Confers with clients to discuss their options and goals so that rehabilitation programs and plans for accessing needed services can be developed.
- Maintains close contact with clients during job training and placements to resolve problems and evaluate placement adequacy.
- Confers with physicians, psychologists, occupational therapists, and other professionals to develop and implement client rehabilitation programs.
- Arranges for physical, mental, academic, vocational, and other evaluations to obtain information for assessing clients' needs and developing rehabilitation plans.
- Analyzes information from interviews, educational and medical records, consultation with other professionals, and diagnostic evaluations to assess clients' abilities, needs, and eligibility for services.
- Develops and maintains relationships with community referral sources, such as schools or community groups.
- Locates barriers to client employment, such as inaccessible work sites, inflexible schedules, or transportation problems, and works with clients to develop strategies for overcoming these barriers.