Prepares detailed working diagrams of machinery and mechanical devices, including dimensions, fastening methods, and other engineering information.
This career is part of the Architecture and Construction cluster Design/Pre-Construction pathway.
A person in this career:
- Develops detailed design drawings and specifications for mechanical equipment, dies, tools, and controls, using computer-assisted drafting (CAD) equipment.
- Lays out and draws schematic, orthographic, or angle views to depict functional relationships of components, assemblies, systems, and machines.
- Coordinates with and consult other workers to design, lay out, or detail components and systems and to resolve design or other problems.
- Checks dimensions of materials to be used and assigns numbers to the materials.
- Reviews and analyzes specifications, sketches, drawings, ideas, and related data to assess factors affecting component designs and the procedures and instructions to be followed.
- Modifies and revises designs to correct operating deficiencies or to reduce production problems.
- Computes mathematical formulas to develop and design detailed specifications for components or machinery, using computer-assisted equipment.
- Positions instructions and comments onto drawings.
- Lays out, draws, and reproduces illustrations for reference manuals and technical publications to describe operation and maintenance of mechanical systems.
- Designs scale or full-size blueprints of specialty items such as furniture and automobile body or chassis components.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.