Assembles or repairs oil field equipment using hand and power tools. Performs other tasks as needed.
This career is part of the Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources cluster Power, Structural and Technical Systems pathway.
A person in this career:
- Keeps pipe deck and main deck areas clean and tidy.
- Unscrews and tightens pipes, casings, tubing and pump rods, using hand and power wrenches and tongs.
- Walks flow lines to locate leaks, using electronic detectors and by making visual inspections, and repairs the leaks.
- Moves pipes to and from trucks, using truck winches and motorized lifts, or by hand.
- Bolts together pump and engine parts.
- Guides cranes to move loads about decks.
- Supplies equipment to rig floors as requested, and provides assistance to roughnecks.
- Dismantles and repairs oil field machinery, boilers and steam engine parts, using hand tools and power tools.
- Cleans up spilled oil by bailing it into barrels.
- Digs drainage ditches around wells and storage tanks.