Receives and pays out money. Keeps records of money and negotiable instruments involved in a financial institution's various transactions.
This career is part of the Business, Management and Administration cluster Business Finance and Accounting pathway.
A person in this career:
- Cashes checks and pays out money after verifying that signatures are correct, that written and numerical amounts agree, and that accounts have sufficient funds.
- Receives checks and cash for deposit, verifies amounts, and checks accuracy of deposit slips.
- Enters customers' transactions into computers to record transactions and issues computer-generated receipts.
- Balances currency, coin, and checks in cash drawers at ends of shifts and calculates daily transactions, using computers, calculators, or adding machines.
- Examines checks for endorsements and to verify other information, such as dates, bank names, identification of the persons receiving payments, and the legality of the documents.
- Counts currency, coins, and checks received, by hand or using currency-counting machine, to prepare them for deposit or shipment to branch banks or the Federal Reserve Bank.
- Orders a supply of cash to meet daily needs.
- Receives and counts daily inventories of cash, drafts, and travelers' checks.
- Prepares and verifies cashier's checks.
- Sorts and files deposit slips and checks.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.