Reads transcript or proof type setup to detect and mark for correction any grammatical, typographical, or compositional errors.
This career is part of the Business Management and Administration cluster Administrative Support pathway.
A person in this career:
- Corrects or records omissions, errors, or inconsistencies found.
- Marks copy to indicate and correct errors in type, arrangement, grammar, punctuation, or spelling, using standard printers' marks.
- Reads corrected copies or proofs to ensure that all corrections have been made.
- Compares information or figures on one record against same data on other records, or with original copy, to detect errors.
- Consults reference books or secures aid of readers to check references with rules of grammar and composition.
- Routes proofs with marked corrections to authors, editors, typists, or typesetters for correction or reprinting.
- Measures dimensions, spacing, and positioning of page elements (copy and illustrations) in order to verify conformance to specifications, using printer's ruler.
- Reads proof sheets aloud, calling out punctuation marks and spelling unusual words and proper names.