Researches, designs, develops, or tests computer or computer-related equipment for commercial, industrial, military, or scientific use. May supervise the manufacturing and installation of computer or computer-related equipment and components.
This career is part of the Information Technology cluster Programming and Software Development pathway.
A person in this career:
- Updates knowledge and skills to keep up with rapid advancements in computer technology.
- Builds, tests, and modifies product prototypes using working models or theoretical models constructed with computer simulation.
- Writes detailed functional specifications that document the hardware development process and support hardware introduction.
- Specifies power supply requirements and configuration, drawing on system performance expectations and design specifications.
- Confers with engineering staff and consults specifications to evaluate interface between hardware and software and operational and performance requirements of overall system.
- Designs and develops computer hardware and support peripherals, including central processing units (CPUs), support logic, microprocessors, custom integrated circuits, and printers and disk drives.
- Selects hardware and material, assuring compliance with specifications and product requirements.
- Monitors functioning of equipment and makes necessary modifications to ensure system operates in conformance with specifications.
- Tests and verifies hardware and support peripherals to ensure that they meet specifications and requirements, by recording and analyzing test data.
- Directs technicians, engineering designers or other technical support personnel as needed.