Develops and executes software test plans in order to identify software problems and their causes.
This career is part of the Information Technology cluster Information Support and Services pathway, Programming and Software Development pathway.
A person in this career:
- Designs test plans, scenarios, scripts, or procedures.
- Documents software defects, using a bug tracking system, and reports defects to software developers.
- Identifies, analyzes, and documents problems with program function, output, online screen, or content.
- Develops testing programs that address areas such as database impacts, software scenarios, regression testing, negative testing, error or bug retests, or usability.
- Participates in product design reviews to provide input on functional requirements, product designs, schedules, or potential problems.
- Documents test procedures to ensure replicability and compliance with standards.
- Plans test schedules or strategies in accordance with project scope or delivery dates.
- Conducts software compatibility tests with programs, hardware, operating systems, or network environments.
- Tests system modifications to prepare for implementation.
- Monitors bug resolution efforts and track successes.