Appraises automobile or other vehicle damage to determine repair costs for insurance claim settlement. Prepares insurance forms to indicate repair cost or cost estimates and recommendations. May seek agreement with automotive repair shop on repair costs.
This career is part of the Business Management and Administration cluster Business Finance and Accounting pathway.
A person in this career:
- Estimates parts and labor to repair damage, using standard automotive labor and parts cost manuals and knowledge of automotive repair.
- Reviews repair cost estimates with automobile repair shop to secure agreement on cost of repairs.
- Examines damaged vehicle to determine extent of structural, body, mechanical, electrical, or interior damage.
- Evaluates practicality of repair as opposed to payment of market value of vehicle before accident.
- Determines salvage value on total-loss vehicle.
- Prepares insurance forms to indicate repair cost estimates and recommendations.
- Arranges to have damage appraised by another appraiser to resolve disagreement with shop on repair cost.