Compiles information and records to draw up purchase orders for procurement of materials and services.
This career is part of the Business Management and Administration cluster Business Finance and Accounting pathway.
A person in this career:
- Performs buying duties when necessary.
- Prepares purchase orders and sends copies to suppliers and to departments originating requests.
- Compares suppliers' bills with bids and purchase orders to verify accuracy.
- Prepares, maintains, and reviews purchasing files, reports and price lists.
- Checks shipments when they arrive to ensure that orders have been filled correctly and that goods meet specifications.
- Compares prices, specifications, and delivery dates to determine the best bid among potential suppliers.
- Reviews requisition orders to verify accuracy, terminology, and specifications.
- Determines if inventory quantities are sufficient for needs, ordering more materials when necessary.
- Calculates costs of orders, and charges or forwards invoices to appropriate accounts.
- Maintains knowledge of all organizational and governmental rules affecting purchases, and provides information about these rules to organization staff members and to vendors.