Performs technical activities at power plants or individual installations necessary for the generation of power from geothermal energy sources. Monitors and controls operating activities at geothermal power generation facilities and performs maintenance and repairs as necessary. May also install, test, and maintain residential and commercial geothermal heat pumps.
This career is part of the Architecture and Construction cluster Maintenance/Operations pathway.
A person in this career:
- Identifies and corrects malfunctions of geothermal plant equipment, electrical systems, instrumentation, or controls.
- Monitors and adjusts operations of geothermal power plant equipment or systems.
- Adjusts power production systems to meet load and distribution demands.
- Collects and records data associated with operating geothermal power plants or well fields.
- Prepares and maintains logs, reports, or other documentation of work performed.
- Installs and maintains geothermal plant electrical protection equipment.
- Maintains, calibrates, or repairs plant instrumentation, control, and electronic devices in geothermal plants.
- Maintains electrical switchgear, process controls, transmitters, gauges, and control equipment in accordance with geothermal plant procedures.
- Determines whether emergency or auxiliary systems will be needed to keep properties heated or cooled in extreme weather conditions.
- Tests water sources for factors such as flow volume and contaminant presence.