Compiles data, computes fees and charges, and prepares invoices for billing purposes. Duties include computing costs and calculating rates for goods, services, and shipment of goods; posting data; and keeping other relevant records. May involve use of computer or typewriter, calculator, and adding and bookkeeping machines.
This career is part of the Business Management and Administration cluster Business Finance and Accounting pathway.
A person in this career:
- Verifies accuracy of billing data and revises any errors.
- Prepares itemized statements, bills, or invoices and records amounts due for items purchased or services rendered.
- Performs bookkeeping work, including posting data or keeping other records concerning costs of goods or services or the shipment of goods.
- Operates typing, adding, calculating, or billing machines.
- Answers mail or telephone inquiries regarding rates, routing, or procedures.
- Resolves discrepancies in accounting records.
- Types billing documents, shipping labels, credit memorandums, or credit forms, using typewriters or computers.
- Contacts customers to obtain or relay account information.
- Reviews documents such as purchase orders, sales tickets, charge slips, or hospital records to compute fees or charges due.
- Keeps records of invoices and support documents.