Presses or shapes articles by hand or machine.
This career is part of the Human Services cluster Personal Care Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Hangs, folds, packages, and tags finished articles for delivery to customers.
- Operates steam, hydraulic, or other pressing machines to remove wrinkles from garments and flatwork items, or to shape, form, or patch articles.
- Straightens, smooths, or shapes materials to prepare them for pressing.
- Removes finished pieces from pressing machines and hangs or stacks them for cooling, or forwards them for additional processing.
- Finishes pleated garments, determining sizes of pleats from evidence of old pleats or from work orders, using machine presses or hand irons.
- Lowers irons, rams, or pressing heads of machines into position over material to be pressed.
- Identifies and treats spots on garments.
- Shrinks, stretches, or blocks articles by hand to conform to original measurements, using forms, blocks, and steam.
- Finishes fancy garments such as evening gowns and costumes, using hand irons to produce high quality finishes.
- Pushes and pulls irons over surfaces of articles to smooth or shape them.