Trains animals for riding, harness, security, performance, or obedience, or assisting persons with disabilities. Accustoms animals to human voice and contact; and conditions animals to respond to commands. Trains animals according to prescribed standards for show or competition. May train animals to carry pack loads or work as part of pack team.
This career is part of the Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources cluster Animal Systems pathway.
A person in this career:
- Cues or signals animals during performances.
- Talks to or interacts with animals to familiarize them to human voices or contact.
- Conducts training programs to develop or maintain desired animal behaviors for competition, entertainment, obedience, security, riding, or related purposes.
- Observes animals' physical conditions to detect illness or unhealthy conditions requiring medical care.
- Feeds or exercises animals or provides other general care, such as cleaning or maintaining holding or performance areas.
- Evaluates animals to determine their temperaments, abilities, or aptitude for training.
- Administers prescribed medications to animals.
- Keeps records documenting animal health, diet, or behavior.
- Evaluates animals for trainability and ability to perform.
- Advises animal owners regarding the purchase of specific animals.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.