Plans and erects commercial displays, such as those in windows and interiors of retail stores and at trade exhibitions.
This career is part of the Marketing cluster Professional Sales pathway, Merchandising pathway.
A person in this career:
- Plans commercial displays to entice and appeal to customers.
- Arranges properties, furniture, merchandise, backdrops, or other accessories, as shown in prepared sketches.
- Changes or rotates window displays, interior display areas, or signage to reflect changes in inventory or promotion.
- Places prices or descriptive signs on backdrops, fixtures, merchandise, or floor.
- Consults with store managers, buyers, sales associates, housekeeping staff, or engineering staff to determine appropriate placement of displays or products.
- Maintains props, products, or mannequins, inspecting them for imperfections, doing touch-ups, cleaning up after customers, or applying preservative coatings as necessary.
- Develops ideas or plans for merchandise displays or window decorations.
- Assembles or sets up displays, furniture, or products in store space while utilizing colors, lights, pictures, or other accessories to display the product.
- Selects themes, lighting, colors, or props to be used.
- Installs booths, exhibits, displays, carpets, or drapes, as guided by floor plan of building or specifications.