Operates dredge to remove sand, gravel, or other materials from lakes, rivers or streams; and to excavate and maintain navigable channels in waterways.
This career is part of the Architecture and Construction cluster Construction pathway.
A person in this career:
- Moves levers to position dredges for excavation, to engage hydraulic pumps, to raise and lower suction booms, and to control rotation of cutterheads.
- Starts and stops engines to operate equipment.
- Starts power winches that draw in or let out cables to change positions of dredges, or pull in and let out cables manually.
- Pumps water to clear machinery pipelines.
- Lowers anchor poles to verify depths of excavations, using winches, or scans depth gauges to determine depths of excavations.
- Directs or assists workers placing shore anchors and cables, laying additional pipes from dredges to shore, and pumping water from pontoons.