Uses hand or hand tools to perform routine cutting and trimming of meat, poultry, and seafood.
This career is part of the Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources cluster Food Products and Processing Systems pathway.
A person in this career:
- Uses knives, cleavers, meat saws, bandsaws, or other equipment to perform meat cutting and trimming.
- Weighs meats and tags containers for weight and contents.
- Inspects meat products for defects, bruises or blemishes and removes them along with any excess fat.
- Cuts and trims meat to prepare for packing.
- Separates meats and byproducts into specified containers and seals containers.
- Processes primal parts into cuts that are ready for retail use.
- Prepares ready-to-heat foods by filleting meat or fish or cutting it into bite-sized pieces, preparing and adding vegetables or applying sauces or breading.
- Cleans, trims, slices, and sections carcasses for future processing.
- Removes parts, such as skin, feathers, scales or bones, from carcass.
- Prepares sausages, luncheon meats, hot dogs, and other fabricated meat products, using meat trimmings and hamburger meat.