What is a Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant?

A Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant is a grant for undergraduate students with exceptional financial need. It doesn't need to be repaid. It can help eligible students pay for education expenses, including tuition, books, and room and board.

How do they know who has exceptional financial need?

The grant will be awarded to students with the lowest Expected Family Contributions (EFCs)*. The EFC is based on your family's financial situation, and it is calculated from the information you report on your Free Application for Federal Student Aid ( FAFSA).

Priority will also be given to students who receive Federal Pell Grants.

*As of the 2024-2025 school year, the Expected Family Contribution will be replaced by the Student Aid Index (SAI).

Do I have to repay the grant?

No, an FSEOG doesn't have to be paid back.

That sounds a lot like a Federal Pell Grant. What is the difference?

The U.S. Department of Education guarantees that each participating school will receive enough money for Federal Pell Grants. In other words, all eligible students will receive a grant.

In contrast, there's no guarantee every eligible student will be able to receive an FSEOG. The number and amount of these grants will depend on the availability of funds at that school.

Make sure you apply as early as possible. Each school will have its own deadline, but the deadline is usually earlier than the FAFSA deadline.

How much money can I get?

The amount varies between $100 and $4,000 a year. The amount you get will depend on several factors, including when you apply, your financial need, the funding level of the school you're attending and the policies of your school's financial aid office.

How will I be paid?

Your school will either credit your account, pay you directly (usually by check), or use a combination of these payment methods.

Schools must pay students at least once per term (each semester, trimester, or quarter).

Generally, schools that do not use traditional academic terms must pay you at least twice during the academic year.

How can I find out more?

For more information on Student Financial Assistance Programs, contact the Federal Student Aid Information Center:

Internet: StudentAid.gov

Phone: 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243)

TTY: 1-800-730-8913

Spanish speakers are available (se habla espanol).