(students who have no previous college work)

  1. Request that the appropriate testing service send your SAT and/or ACT score reports to Shepherd University.

    The SAT and TOEFL institution number is 5615. The ACT institution number is 4532.

  2. Request official secondary school records documenting completion of the minimum high school academic unit requirements. If you did not graduate from high school, you must complete the GED before enrolling. Please request that those test scores are sent to the office of admissions from the appropriate education center.

(students who have previous college work but at another institution)

  1. If you will have completed less than twenty-six semester hours of transferable credit by the time you submit this application, you must follow the guideline for freshman students stated above. In addition to the high school information requirements stated above and in the catalog, you must have a copy of your official college transcripts forwarded directly to the Office of Admissions.

  2. If you have more than twenty-six transferable semester hours completed, you must request that an official transcript from each college attended be forwarded directly to the Office of Admissions.

  3. If you have been suspended or expelled for academic or disciplinary reasons, you must have your last school submit a Student Personnel Record Form. You may download the form from the Shepherd website.

Note: Once you have enrolled in a college, you may not disregard coursework attempted or earned. All previous college work must be considered in the admissions process, including any semesters in which you withdrew. Students falsifying transfer information are subject to disciplinary action.

(previous Shepherd students working toward a degree)

  1. If you have attended other colleges since your last semester at Shepherd, you must submit a transcript from each college.

Note: Once you have enrolled in a college, you may not disregard coursework attempted or earned. All previous college work must be considered in the admissions process, including any semesters in which you withdrew. Students falsifying transfer information are subject to disciplinary action.

(students regularly enrolled elsewhere taking coursework to be transferred back to the home institution)

  1. You must request a letter of good standing from your registrar granting permission for you to complete the course(s) at Shepherd University. It is your responsibility to insure that the course(s) you are taking at Shepherd University are transferable back to your home institution.

(students who are not U.S. citizens, resident aliens, or permanent residents who will be required to have a visa during their stay in the United States)

  1. If you are in physical possession of your GREEN CARD, follow the application directions stated above that are appropriate to your application status. You must submit a photocopy of your Green Card with the permanent registration number with your application agreement statement.

  2. You are required to submit the $45 nonrefundable application fee with your application agreement statement.

    You must have a certified original transcript and a certified English translation of that transcript sent directly from your institution to the Office of Admissions at Shepherd University. A grading scale must be provided with these transcripts. All English translations should include the following information: dates of attendance; names of each course taken; number of hours and weeks each course was in session; the grade, mark, and rank earned in each course with a description of the marking system used. Copies of the originals are not acceptable in lieu of the original documents.

  3. You must have SAT results sent to the Office of Admissions. The institution number is 5615.

  4. If you are transferring from a postsecondary institution, an original transcript from each postsecondary institution must be directly submitted to Shepherd University with the certified English translations. You must submit your transcript to an independent agency for a formal evaluation. The costs associated with this evaluation will be your responsibility.

  5. Have the results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) sent from the Educational Testing Service. A minimum score of 550 on the paper-based test, 213 on the computer-based test, or 79 on the internet-based is required for admission. The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is also accepted with a score of 7.

  6. You must provide the admissions credentials appropriate to your admissions status described in the instructions above (i.e., Freshman, Transfer, or Readmit applicants only).

  7. With the implementation of the SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, an international student applying for admission to Shepherd University must submit all items needed for admission well in advance of the stated application deadlines. Before an offer of admission can be extended to an applicant, the applicant's information must be submitted to SEVIS. SEVIS will then advise the college if the student may be admitted and will issue the I-20 form to the student. Applicants should allow at least six months for paperwork to be processed.

(Please refer to the catalog or website at for information regarding how to obtain the I-20 form for your student visa. The catalog is on


Shepherd University makes every effort to accommodate the special circumstances of homeschooled students during the admissions process. Applicants must submit the following documentation for consideration by the admissions staff:
  • Students under the umbrella of a degree-granting organization are required to submit evidence of the coursework completed and the level of performance.
  • In absence of such a document, please submit a detailed portfolio describing the breadth of coursework. This could include a research project, resume, reading list, community service, athletic and/or artistic endeavors, and study abroad.
  • Official transcripts from an accredited university or college (if applicable).
  • AP test scores (if applicable).
  • ACT/SAT test scores.
  • Essay (highly recommended but not required).