Landscapes or maintains grounds of property using hand or power tools or equipment. Workers typically perform a variety of tasks, which may include any combination of the following: sod laying, mowing, trimming, planting, watering, fertilizing, digging, raking, sprinkler installation, and installation of mortarless segmental concrete masonry wall units.
This career is part of the Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources cluster Plant Systems pathway.
A person in this career:
- Gathers and removes litter.
- Uses hand tools, such as shovels, rakes, pruning saws, saws, hedge or brush trimmers, or axes.
- Operates vehicles or powered equipment, such as mowers, tractors, twin-axle vehicles, snow blowers, chain-saws, electric clippers, sod cutters, or pruning saws.
- Waters lawns, trees, or plants, using portable sprinkler systems, hoses, or watering cans.
- Prunes or trims trees, shrubs, or hedges, using shears, pruners, or chain saws.
- Mixes and sprays or spread fertilizers, herbicides, or insecticides onto grass, shrubs, or trees, using hand or automatic sprayers or spreaders.
- Follows planned landscaping designs to determine where to lay sod, sow grass, or plant flowers or foliage.
- Cares for established lawns by mulching, aerating, weeding, grubbing, removing thatch, or trimming or edging around flower beds, walks, or walls.
- Trims or picks flowers and cleans flower beds.
- Attaches wires from planted trees to support stakes.