Provides skincare treatments to face and body to enhance an individual's appearance. Includes electrologists and laser hair removal specialists.
This career is part of the Human Services cluster Personal Care Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Sterilizes equipment and cleans work areas.
- Examines clients' skin, using magnifying lamps or visors when necessary, to evaluate skin condition and appearance.
- Cleanses clients' skin with water, creams, or lotions.
- Demonstrates how to clean and care for skin properly and recommend skin-care regimens.
- Performs simple extractions to remove blackheads.
- Selects and applies cosmetic products, such as creams, lotions, and tonics.
- Stays abreast of latest industry trends, products, research, and treatments.
- Determines which products or colors will improve clients' skin quality and appearance.
- Treats the facial skin to maintain and improve its appearance, using specialized techniques and products, such as peels and masks.
- Refers clients to medical personnel for treatment of serious skin problems.