Inspects structures using engineering skills to determine structural soundness and compliance with specifications, building codes, and other regulations. Inspections may be general in nature or may be limited to a specific area, such as electrical systems or plumbing.
This career is part of the Architecture and Construction cluster Construction pathway, Design/Pre-Construction pathway.
A person in this career:
- Inspects facilities or installations to determine their environmental impact.
- Inspects bridges, dams, highways, buildings, wiring, plumbing, electrical circuits, sewers, heating systems, or foundations during and after construction for structural quality, general safety, or conformance to specifications and codes.
- Monitors installation of plumbing, wiring, equipment, or appliances to ensure that installation is performed properly and is in compliance with applicable regulations.
- Measures dimensions and verifies level, alignment, or elevation of structures or fixtures to ensure compliance to building plans and codes.
- Maintains daily logs and supplements inspection records with photographs.
- Evaluates project details to ensure adherence to environmental regulations.
- Reviews and interprets plans, blueprints, site layouts, specifications, or construction methods to ensure compliance to legal requirements and safety regulations.
- Conducts inspections, using survey instruments, metering devices, tape measures, or test equipment.
- Monitors construction activities to ensure that environmental regulations are not violated.
- Inspects and monitors construction sites to ensure adherence to safety standards, building codes, or specifications.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.