Inspects structures using engineering skills to determine structural soundness and compliance with specifications, building codes, and other regulations. Inspections may be general in nature or may be limited to a specific area, such as electrical systems or plumbing.
This career is part of the Architecture and Construction cluster Construction pathway, Design/Pre-Construction pathway.
A person in this career:
- Inspects bridges, dams, highways, buildings, wiring, plumbing, electrical circuits, sewers, heating systems, or foundations during and after construction for structural quality, general safety, or conformance to specifications and codes.
- Inspects facilities or installations to determine their environmental impact.
- Monitors installation of plumbing, wiring, equipment, or appliances to ensure that installation is performed properly and is in compliance with applicable regulations.
- Measures dimensions and verifies level, alignment, or elevation of structures or fixtures to ensure compliance to building plans and codes.
- Maintains daily logs and supplements inspection records with photographs.
- Evaluates project details to ensure adherence to environmental regulations.
- Reviews and interprets plans, blueprints, site layouts, specifications, or construction methods to ensure compliance to legal requirements and safety regulations.
- Conducts inspections, using survey instruments, metering devices, tape measures, or test equipment.
- Inspects and monitors construction sites to ensure adherence to safety standards, building codes, or specifications.
- Monitors construction activities to ensure that environmental regulations are not violated.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.