Develops quantitative financial products used to inform individuals or financial institutions engaged in saving, lending, investing, borrowing, or managing risk. Investigates methods for financial analysis to create mathematical models used to develop improved analytical tools or advanced financial investment instruments.
This career is part of the Business Management and Administration cluster Business Finance and Accounting pathway.
A person in this career:
- Develops core analytical capabilities or model libraries, using advanced statistical, quantitative, or econometric techniques.
- Provides application or analytical support to researchers or traders on issues such as valuations or data.
- Researches or develops analytical tools to address issues such as portfolio construction or optimization, performance measurement, attribution, profit and loss measurement, or pricing models.
- Maintains or modifies all financial analytic models in use.
- Applies mathematical or statistical techniques to address practical issues in finance, such as derivative valuation, securities trading, risk management, or financial market regulation.
- Researches new financial products or analytics to determine their usefulness.
- Devises or applies independent models or tools to help verify results of analytical systems.
- Defines or recommends model specifications or data collection methods.
- Confers with other financial engineers or analysts on trading strategies, market dynamics, or trading system performance to inform development of quantitative techniques.
- Interprets results of financial analysis procedures.