Determines and formulates policies and provides overall direction of companies or private and public sector organizations within guidelines set up by a board of directors or similar governing body. Plans, directs, or coordinates operational activities at the highest level of management with the help of subordinate executives and staff managers.
This career is part of the Government and Public Administration cluster Public Management and Administration pathway.
A person in this career:
- Directs or coordinates an organization's financial or budget activities to fund operations, maximize investments, or increase efficiency.
- Appoints department heads or managers and assigns or delegates responsibilities to them.
- Analyzes operations to evaluate performance of a company or its staff in meeting objectives or to determine areas of potential cost reduction, program improvement, or policy change.
- Directs, plans, or implements policies, objectives, or activities of organizations or businesses to ensure continuing operations, to maximize returns on investments, or to increase productivity.
- Prepares budgets for approval, including those for funding or implementation of programs.
- Confers with board members, organization officials, or staff members to discuss issues, coordinate activities, or resolve problems.
- Implements corrective action plans to solve organizational or departmental problems.
- Directs human resources activities, including the approval of human resource plans or activities, the selection of directors or other high-level staff, or establishment or organization of major departments.
- Establishes departmental responsibilities and coordinate functions among departments and sites.
- Presides over or serve on boards of directors, management committees, or other governing boards.