Plans, directs, or coordinates activities in such fields as electronic data processing, information systems, systems analysis, and computer programming.
This career is part of the Information Technology cluster Information Support and Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Directs daily operations of department, analyzing workflow, establishing priorities, developing standards and setting deadlines.
- Meets with department heads, managers, supervisors, vendors, and others, to solicit cooperation and resolve problems.
- Reviews project plans to plan and coordinate project activity.
- Assigns and reviews the work of systems analysts, programmers, and other computer-related workers.
- Provides users with technical support for computer problems.
- Develops computer information resources, providing for data security and control, strategic computing, and disaster recovery.
- Recruits, hires, trains and supervises staff, or participates in staffing decisions.
- Stays abreast of advances in technology.
- Consults with users, management, vendors, and technicians to assess computing needs and system requirements.
- Develops and interprets organizational goals, policies, and procedures.