Controls or tends conveyors or conveyor systems that move materials or products to and from stockpiles, processing stations, departments, or vehicles. May control speed and routing of materials or products.
This career is part of the Architecture and Construction cluster Maintenance/Operations pathway.
A person in this career:
- Informs supervisors of equipment malfunctions that need to be addressed.
- Observes conveyor operations and monitors lights, dials, and gauges to maintain specified operating levels and to detect equipment malfunctions.
- Records production data such as weights, types, quantities, and storage locations of materials, as well as equipment performance problems and downtime.
- Loads, unloads, or adjusts materials or products on conveyors by hand, by using lifts, hoists, and scoops, or by opening gates, chutes, or hoppers.
- Stops equipment or machinery and clears jams, using poles, bars, and hand tools, or removes damaged materials from conveyors.
- Distributes materials, supplies, and equipment to work stations, using lifts and trucks.
- Observes packages moving along conveyors to identify packages, detect defective packaging, and perform quality control.
- Collects samples of materials or products, checking them to ensure conformance to specifications or sending them to laboratories for analysis.
- Positions deflector bars, gates, chutes, or spouts to divert flow of materials from one conveyor onto another conveyor.
- Repairs or replaces equipment components or parts such as blades, rolls, and pumps.