Controls or tends conveyors or conveyor systems that move materials or products to and from stockpiles, processing stations, departments, or vehicles. May control speed and routing of materials or products.
This career is part of the Architecture and Construction cluster Maintenance/Operations pathway.
A person in this career:
- Positions deflector bars, gates, chutes, or spouts to divert flow of materials from one conveyor onto another conveyor.
- Weighs or measures materials and products, using scales or other measuring instruments, or reads scales on conveyors that continually weigh products, to verify specified tonnages and prevent overloads.
- Manipulates controls, levers, and valves to start pumps, auxiliary equipment, or conveyors, and to adjust equipment positions, speeds, timing, and material flows.
- Records production data such as weights, types, quantities, and storage locations of materials, as well as equipment performance problems and downtime.
- Informs supervisors of equipment malfunctions that need to be addressed.
- Cleans, sterilizes, and maintains equipment, machinery, and work stations, using hand tools, shovels, brooms, chemicals, hoses, and lubricants.
- Observes conveyor operations and monitors lights, dials, and gauges to maintain specified operating levels and to detect equipment malfunctions.
- Operates elevator systems in conjunction with conveyor systems.
- Reads production and delivery schedules, and confers with supervisors, to determine sorting and transfer procedures, arrangement of packages on pallets, and destinations of loaded pallets.
- Repairs or replaces equipment components or parts such as blades, rolls, and pumps.