Applies a mixture of cement, sand, pigment, or marble chips to floors, stairways, and cabinet fixtures to fashion durable and decorative surfaces.
This career is part of the Architecture and Construction cluster Construction pathway.
A person in this career:
- Measures designated amounts of ingredients for terrazzo or grout according to standard formulas and specifications, using graduated containers and scales, and load ingredients into portable mixer.
- Grinds surfaces with a power grinder or polishes surfaces with polishing or surfacing machines.
- Cuts metal division strips and presses them into the terrazzo base for joints or changes of color to form designs or patterns or to help prevent cracks.
- Blends marble chip mixtures, places into panels, and pushes a roller over the surface to embed the chips.
- Modifies mixing, grouting, grinding, or cleaning procedures, according to type of installation or material used.
- Spreads, levels, or smooths concrete or terrazzo mixtures to form bases or finished surfaces, using rakes, shovels, hand or power trowels, hand or power screeds, or floats.
- Grinds curved surfaces or areas inaccessible to surfacing machine, such as stairways or cabinet tops, with portable hand grinder.
- Washes polished terrazzo surface, using cleaner and water, and applies sealer and curing agent according to manufacturer's specifications, using brush or sprayer.
- Positions and secures moisture membrane and wire mesh in preparation for pouring base materials for terrazzo installation.
- Fills slight grinding depressions with matching grout material and hand trowels for a smooth, uniform surface.