Performs a variety of activities to weatherize homes and make them more energy efficient. Duties include repairing windows, insulating ducts, and performing heating, ventilating, and air-conditioning (HVAC) work. May perform energy audits and advise clients on energy conservation measures.
This career is part of the Architecture and Construction cluster Maintenance/Operations pathway.
A person in this career:
- Tests and diagnoses air flow systems, using furnace efficiency analysis equipment.
- Inspects buildings to identify required weatherization measures, including repair work, modification, or replacement.
- Applies insulation materials such as loose, blanket, board, and foam insulation to attics, crawl spaces, basements, or walls.
- Maintains activity logs, financial transaction logs, or other records of weatherization work performed.
- Prepares or assists in the preparation of bids, contracts, or written reports related to weatherization work.
- Installs and seals air ducts, combustion air openings, or ventilation openings to improve heating and cooling efficiency.
- Recommends weatherization techniques to clients in accordance with needs and applicable energy regulations, codes, policies, or statutes.
- Explains energy conservation measures, such as the use of low flow showerheads and energy efficient lighting.
- Explains recommendations, policies, procedures, requirements, or other related information to residents or building owners.
- Cleans and maintains tools and equipment.