Plans, directs, or coordinates the operations of public or private sector organizations. Duties and responsibilities include formulating policies, managing daily operations, and planning the use of materials and human resources, but are too diverse and general in nature to be classified in any one functional area of management or administration, such as personnel, purchasing, or administrative services.
This career is part of the Business Management and Administration cluster Management pathway, Operations Management pathway.
A person in this career:
- Reviews financial statements, sales or activity reports, or other performance data to measure productivity or goal achievement or to identify areas needing cost reduction or program improvement.
- Directs and coordinates activities of businesses or departments concerned with the production, pricing, sales, or distribution of products.
- Directs administrative activities directly related to making products or providing services.
- Prepares staff work schedules and assigns specific duties.
- Monitors suppliers to ensure that they efficiently and effectively provide needed goods or services within budgetary limits.
- Directs or coordinates financial or budget activities to fund operations, maximize investments, or increase efficiency.
- Establishes or implements departmental policies, goals, objectives, or procedures in conjunction with board members, organization officials, or staff members.
- Performs personnel functions such as selection, training, or evaluation.
- Plans or directs activities such as sales promotions that require coordination with other department managers.
- Sets prices or credit terms for goods or services based on forecasts of customer demand.