Plans and directs public relations programs designed to create and maintain a favorable public image for employer or client; or if engaged in fundraising, plans and directs activities to solicit and maintain funds for special projects and nonprofit organizations.
This career is part of the Business, Management and Administration cluster Management pathway.
A person in this career:
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with clients, government officials, and media representatives and uses these relationships to develop new business opportunities.
- Writes interesting and effective press releases, prepares information for media kits, and develops and maintains company internet or intranet web pages.
- Identifies main client groups and audiences, determines the best way to communicate publicity information to them, and develops and implements a communication plan.
- Assigns, supervises, and reviews the activities of public relations staff.
- Develops and maintains the company's corporate image and identity, which includes the use of logos and signage.
- Responds to requests for information about employers' activities or status.
- Manages communications budgets.
- Directs activities of external agencies, establishments, and departments that develop and implement communication strategies and information programs.
- Drafts speeches for company executives and arranges interviews and other forms of contact for them.
- Evaluates advertising and promotion programs for compatibility with public relations efforts.