Plans, directs, or coordinates activities designed to create or maintain a favorable public image or raise issue awareness for their organization or client; or if engaged in fundraising, plans, directs, or coordinates activities to solicit and maintain funds for special projects or nonprofit organizations.
This career is part of the Business Management and Administration cluster Management pathway.
A person in this career:
- Identifies main client groups and audiences, determines the best way to communicate publicity information to them, and develops and implements a communication plan.
- Develops and maintains the company's corporate image and identity, which includes the use of logos and signage.
- Manages special events, such as sponsorship of races, parties introducing new products, or other activities the firm supports, to gain public attention through the media without advertising directly.
- Writes interesting and effective press releases, prepares information for media kits, and develops and maintains company internet or intranet web pages.
- Designs and edits promotional publications, such as brochures.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with clients, government officials, and media representatives and use these relationships to develop new business opportunities.
- Evaluates advertising and promotion programs for compatibility with public relations efforts.
- Facilitates consumer relations or the relationship between parts of the company, such as the managers and employees, or different branch offices.
- Establishes goals for soliciting funds, develops policies for collection and safeguarding of contributions, and coordinates disbursement of funds.
- Assigns, supervises, and reviews the activities of public relations staff.