Sells goods for wholesalers or manufacturers where technical or scientific knowledge is required in such areas as biology, engineering, chemistry, and electronics, normally obtained from at least 2 years of post-secondary education.
This career is part of the Marketing cluster Professional Sales pathway.
A person in this career:
- Negotiates prices or terms of sales or service agreements.
- Prepares and submits sales contracts for orders.
- Visits establishments to evaluate needs or to promote product or service sales.
- Maintains customer records, using automated systems.
- Answers customers' questions about products, prices, availability, or credit terms.
- Quotes prices, credit terms, or other bid specifications.
- Contacts new or existing customers to discuss how specific products or services can meet their needs.
- Emphasizes product features based on analyses of customers' needs and on technical knowledge of product capabilities and limitations.
- Computes customer's installation or production costs and estimates savings from new services, products, or equipment.
- Selects or assists customers in selecting products based on customer needs, product specifications, and applicable regulations.