Drives truck or other vehicle over established routes or within an established territory and sells or delivers goods, such as food products, including restaurant take-out items, or picks up or delivers items such as commercial laundry. May also take orders, collect payment, or stock merchandise at point of delivery. Includes newspaper delivery drivers.
This career is part of the Marketing cluster Professional Sales pathway, Marketing Research pathway.
A person in this career:
- Collects money from customers, makes change, and records transactions on customer receipts.
- Drives trucks to deliver such items as food, medical supplies, or newspapers.
- Writes customer orders and sales contracts according to company guidelines.
- Informs regular customers of new products or services and price changes.
- Listens to and resolves customers' complaints regarding products or services.
- Records sales or delivery information on daily sales or delivery record.
- Calls on prospective customers to explain company services or to solicit new business.
- Arranges merchandise and sales promotion displays or issues sales promotion materials to customers.
- Maintains trucks and food-dispensing equipment and cleans inside of machines that dispense food or beverages.
- Reviews lists of dealers, customers, or station drops and load trucks.